Millions marched last year.
Millions protested last year.
Millions organized last year.
Millions are preparing, strategizing, collaborating for the year ahead.
How many took time for self-care last year? I wish the answer was millions.
There will be long fights ahead, and these battles will require us to be on top of our self-care game. It may be go-time, but it also needs to be self-care time. Why?
Here are 5 reasons why you should put self-care at the top of your to-do list for 2018:
- Self-Preservation: The feminist writer and civil rights activist Audre Lorde said it best: “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.”
- Us-Care: During my self-care trainings, I say that self-care should really be called “us-care.” When we take care of ourselves, the people around us benefit. Taking care of yourself is truly the gift that keeps on giving.
- Increased Performance: Time is a finite resource. We all have the same 86,400 seconds each day. But the difference between us is our energy levels in each second of the day. We all want more energy — otherwise, there wouldn’t be a billion-dollar market for energy drinks. With more energy, we can increase our performance in life. With this increased performance we can tackle more challenges at work, build deeper relationships with loved ones, and contribute to our communities.
- Better Health Insurance: Self-care is the best health care. Self-care is a way of ensuring your own health insurance. Instead of waiting until life forces you, start investing in your health today. Unlike other investments, you won’t have to wait years to see the benefits — you’ll be able to see them immediately.
- Why not? You sell me on why not? Sell me on why you don’t put you at the top of your to-do list?
In the words of a veteran organizer, “the work we do is important but not more so than you.” Please take care of your badass self.